Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Discover Card


Citicards Robocalling

Grrrr… this really annoys me - when a company calls, you pick up the phone, and an automated attendant (aka robo-caller) says, “Please hold, an agent will be right with you…”.

I just got one of those calls from Citicards, and I’m very disappointed. I’ve always had fairly high respect for their brand, but this is rediculous. Doesn’t their management understand the damage that this type of annoying will inflict upon their brand?

I’ve had issues with Discover Card calling too much as well, and thankfully those calls have, for the most part, subsided.

Discover Buying Diner’s Club Monday,

Discover Card, a spin-off from JP Morgan, is buying Citigroup’s Diner’s Club International, for $165 million. I have applied for a Diner’s Club card in the past (they have pretty good rewards), but was denied.

Apparently you have to do a significant amount of dining domestically and overseas to be approved for the card.

American Express and Discover Promo APRs Over
The 12 months of 0% APR on my business American Express Simply Cash card are up this month, so its time to start paying it off. All in all, the card has been fantastic. My favorite things about it are the high cash back percentages (up to 5% for gas and wireless phone bills), and more importantly that the cash back is rebated the next month - no waiting an entire year!

Over the past year, I’ve worked myself up a decent amount of debt with American Express on this card, so much that they reduced my available credit on a line of credit I have with them! Even without the line of credit, I should be fine, I have some “rainy day” funds, as well as a cash-secured line with Bank of America.

If you’d like to try out the American Express Simply Cash card, you can apply through this link:

American Express

While I’m on the subject, my wife’s Discover Card promotional APR is also up as of last month, and I was pleasantly surprised to “discover” that the normal interest rate was only 9.99%. Not bad! Most of the available credit on the Discover Card was used to buy plane tickets and pay for travel expenses as my wife interviewed for infertility fellowships. It was worth it, she was chosen by the NIH! (If you want to learn more about her specialty, check out Informed Infertility.) My experience with the Discover Card has been less extensive, but if you’d like to apply for one of them, you can do so by clicking on this link:


Discover Open Road

My business also has a Discover Business Card, and again my experience with that card has also been limited. I bought a Apple MacBook with it when I first was approved as it came with 12 months of a promotional 0% interest rate on purchases. Unfortunately, my Macbook has been acting up lately.

And finally just one more link. This one is for a Discover Business Card. If you and your business have good credit you might get a sweet balance transfer, cash advance, or purchase APR! My card also came with great cash back deals, too. See their site for full details:

Discover® Business Card – 5% back on your office supplies! Apply Now!

Discover Card Affiliate

I’m glad to announce that we’re now affiliated with Discover Card! If you would like to apply for a Discover Card, you can do so right now:


Discover Courtesy Calls Are Obnoxious


I’ve ranted about obnoxious Discover Card “courtesy calls” before. There was awhile there when they called my office about 5 times over two days, didn’t leave a message, but kept calling. That type of behavior encourages me to blacklist the called identification number.

Today my home phone received 3 phone calls, and only on the third call did they leave a message. The message requested a call back, but didn’t say what it was for, or even identify the caller - I only knew it was Discover due to the caller identification. So I called back the number, and was greeted by an automated system, asking me for my account number. Great, yeah right.

I say “representative”, with no luck, then finally am transferred to an operator, who again asks for my account number, yet I still have no idea who I’m talking to or what about! Grrr. Finally I provide the phone number they called, and it turns out it was a courtesy call. In my humble opinion, courtesy is not the word I would use to describe these calls. I would choose harassment, but that’s just me.

Come to think of it, there was nothing in this call that verified Discover as the authentic caller or respondent to my return call. For all I know it could have been a more sophisticated phishing scam trying to elicit information from me. Ugh. If scammers haven’t tried this yet, I bet they will soon.

UPDATE: I can’t believe it but Discover called again today. Do I need to take out a restraining order on them??

OK, this is getting ridiculous. They just called AGAIN! Just in case you think I’m going crazy, here is the call log from the past few days:

discover-calls-12.jpg
discover-calls-2.jpg
discover-calls-3.jpg

This of course does not include their calls to my office as well.

UPDATE October 26, 2007: Just got another Discover call to the office, and requested an end to the calls. I’ve requested this before, and obviously it was ineffective.

Posted in Credit Cards, Discover Card, Se

1 comment: